Thursday, December 3, 2009

Mermaid "Do" Altered Journal

Hi everyone! Wow, two posts in a row, that hasn't happened in a few weeks, but a few posts ago I showed you a fabulous mermaid stamp from Prickley Pear. I promised a project, and I'm here to show it to you!

If you remember, I also told you about some blank text blocks from Hollander's. Well, I used one of those to alter a calendar book that I found at Goodwill. I gutted the calendar and kept only the cover. The cover was really pretty because it had this embossed flower pattern on it (which is still visible on the back). I decided to give it a paint treatment with greens, blues, and gold to mimic an ocean, and I love the way it turned out!

Then I stamped the beautiful mermaid stamp from Prickley Pear onto some transparency sheet and colored it from the back with paint. I added some huge cartoon eyes and some bling on her crown. Then I finished the journal off with some fish from Itkupilli, torn painted paper, ribbon, tacks, and paint pens.

My first saying says "I will express myself wholly & completely in all that I...

*Click for larger pics*

The flap opens on the right side to reveal my second "saying". It says "You have more to see and more to... the two sayings meet at the end with the word "DO"




This little pocket was inside of the original book, so I painted it up and added it back in after I glued in my text block.


I hope you enjoy what I did...I would love to hear your opinions! I'm planning on making some variations of this journal for my two oldest daughters for gifts. Can't wait to do it again!

4 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! it looks like a spent a huge amount of time on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great journal....So artsy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much do you want for it? I LOVE IT. It will be mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did an amazing job! It looks awesome!:)

    -Laura

    ReplyDelete